Jennifer Aaronson, the Culinary Director from Marley Spoon, loves helping people discover beautiful new flavors and easy cooking techniques. In this recipe she uses mirin—sweet rice wine—and the juice from one orange to balance a flavorful tamari sauce. The trick to making this sauce is letting it reduce just a few minutes over high heat until it thickens and beautifully coats tender beef. Broccoli florets are perfect for catching all that flavor. Cook, relax and enjoy! Marley Spoon has kindly offered up a discount for HBFIT readers, which will get you $30 OFF on your first order! Cooking time: 25 minutes Attributes: Beef (gluten-free, lactose-free) Calories: 720 kcal/person Allergens: Soy Ingredients: 4 oz mai fun rice stick noodles ½ oz fresh ginger 2 garlic cloves (0.4 oz) 8 oz broccoli crowns 4 scallions (2 oz total) 1 orange (7-10 oz) 10 oz flat iron steak ¼ cup tamari (2 oz) 2 Tbsp mirin (1 oz) Coarse salt to taste Neutral oil, such as vegetable or safflower Sugar to taste Equipment: large pot strainer large skillet Directions:
- Cook noodles. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place noodles in a bowl and cover with 4 cups of boiling water. Let soak 10 minutes. Drain. Reserve pot of hot water.
- Prep vegetables. Meanwhile, peel and finely slice ginger. Cut slices into thin matchsticks. Peel and finely chop garlic. Cut broccoli into thin florets. Cut root ends from scallions then cut crosswise into 2–3-inch pieces (cut any thick pieces in half lengthwise). Juice orange.
- Cut steak. Slice steak thinly crosswise.
- Cook aromatics. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium- high. Sauté garlic and ginger until golden, about 1 minute.
- Cook beef. Increase heat to high. Add beef in a single layer then add broccoli and scallions. Cook without stirring, about 2 minutes. Stir then continue cooking until beef is seared, about 1½ minutes more.
- Finish. Stir in tamari, orange juice, mirin and a pinch of sugar. Let boil until reduced and meat is glazed, about 3–5 minutes. Bring hot water back to a boil and add noodles. Boil 2 minutes then drain and toss with 1 tablespoon oil. Divide noodles among plates and top with beef, broccoli and sauce. Enjoy!